This website is informational only for patients & prospective patients of Crown Colony Pediatrics and is not intended to be substituted for medical advice by a Physician
500 Congress St. Suite 1F, Quincy, MA 02169 Phone: (617) 471-3411 Fax: (617) 471-3584
500 Congress Street Ste: 1F, Quincy, MA 02169 Appointments (617) 471-3411
For Parents
Holiday Safety Tips!
Copyright American Academy of Pediatrics, 2016
Lights Check all tree lights--even if you have just purchased them--before hanging them on your tree. Make sure all the bulbs work and that there are no frayed wires, broken sockets or loose connections. Never use electric lights on a metallic tree. The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights, and a person touching a branch could be electrocuted. Some light strands may contain lead in the bulb sockets and wire coating, sometimes in high amounts. Make sure your lights are out of reach of young children who might try to put lights in their mouths and wash your hands after handling them.  Before using lights outdoors, check labels to be sure they have been certified for outdoor use. To hold lights in place, string them through hooks or insulated staples, not nails or tacks. Never pull or tug lights to remove them. Plug all outdoor electric decorations into circuits with ground fault circuit interrupters to avoid potential shocks. Turn off all lights when you go to bed or leave the house. The lights could short out and start a fire. Lights and candles are fire hazards. If you use electric lights, look for frayed or exposed wires, and make sure no wires are pinched by furniture and no cords run under rugs. Don't use the same extension cord for more than three strands of lights and turn off all lights before going to bed. When lighting candles, remove flammable materials from the area and never leave a burning candle unattended. Space heaters are involved in 79% of fatal home heating fires. If space heaters are in use, there should be a 3-foot open zone - make sure they are not close to curtains, blankets or other potentially flammable materials.  Always turn off and unplug when unattended.
HOME HOME NEW PATIENTS NEW PATIENTS CONTACT US CONTACT US Before going to the Emergency Room Before going to the Emergency Room Trees Trees Trees Decorations Decorations Decorations Happy Visiting Happy Visiting Happy Visiting Lights Toy Safety Toy Safety Toy Safety Food Safety Food Safety Food Safety Fireplaces Fireplaces Fireplaces Mental Health Mental Health Mental Health MEET US FORMS & POLICIES FOR PARENTS